CART TOTALS :
There are items
in your cart
CART TOTALS :
To prevent fire and injury, never leave a burning candle unattended.
Always place your candle on a flat, stable, heat resistant surface as the container may become hot. Never burn near flammable, heat sensitive, porous surfaces.
Always remove labels, decorations, ribbons or anything that can catch fire before you burn your candle.
Avoid using your candle near draughts, near an open window, near an airduct or fan. Note that a candle in a draught may also start to smoke. Draughts also may cause your candle to collapse.
Before lighting always trim the wick to 6mm-7mm each time and remove any wick debris as this encourages a longer, even burn. Regularly trim your wicks. We use 100% cotton, lead free wicks. Sometimes you will notice a ‘mushrooming’ of the wick. To provide the cleanest burn possible, we recommend you remove the black ‘mushroom’ before burning and periodically during the burning. Failure to do this may lead to a “Wax Pool Fire” (in Containers and sometimes Votives) where the entire candle may appear to ignite. This is caused when a hot piece of untrimmed wick drops into the melted wax pool and ignites it. Preventing the “mushroom” effect by regularly trimming the wick and not burning any candle for longer than the maximum recommended burn time will prevent this from occurring
Try using a candle snuffer to prevent wicks from drifting off-centre and to avoid wax splash. Also your wick is dipped into the wax and you will not have to smell the smoke that emits after the candle is blown out. By using a candle snuffer you will ensure that your wick is pre-waxed for the next time you use it for a cleaner and maximum burn time.
Never burn a candle for longer than three hours at a time. If a candle burns for excessive periods without being allowed to re-solidify, even the best candle can burn out the sides because of excessive heat.
When creating decorative candle displays, candles should be separated from each other by a minimum of 10cm to prevent burn problems. Candles that are too close together will affect each candle’s burn quality, which may cause candles to collapse and not burn to their maximum burn times.
To get the maximum burn times from your candles, in particular pillar candles, you must set the candle memory. To set the candle memory, burn the candle for one hour for every 2.5cm of its diameter the first time the candle is lit. This will allow the pool of wax to extend to the outside rim and prevent the candle from forming a crater. Each time the candle is lit after setting the memory, the candle will burn out to the rim.
Choosing the correct candle for your candle holder: a helpful tip in deciding if a vessel is the right size for a candle is the 70/30 ratio (70% empty space to 30% candle) - a general rule we use is making sure at least three finger widths can fit the entire way around the candle before touching the edge. If the vessel is not an adequate size, it can cause the candle to overheat and collapse.
Votives need to be placed in a special votive holder as they are designed to melt and liquify while burning. Never burn a votive without using a holder. To make removal easier, place a teaspoon of water in the holder prior to burning.
Kept vertical, candle tapers will not smoke or drip and their special lacquer will not catch fire or flame up. Use Candle Fitters or candle cradles to support tapers in their holder to ensure they are kept vertical.
Candles are sensitive to temperature and light. Avoid candles from fading, cracking and melting by storing your candles in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight, dust and fluorescent light. Store your candles in an upright position and do not leave your candles in your car on a warm day.
It is important to follow all candle care instructions. Failure to do so significantly increases the risk of a wax pool fire. If the candle wax pool becomes superheated, the candle may spontaneously erupt into flames. In a jar candle, the glass may also shatter. Common causes of a super-heated wax pool;
In the event of a ‘wax pool fire’, do not panic. As long as there is nothing flammable near the candle, the fire will remain localised.
The candle should not be moved or touched whilst on fire.
Treat as for an oil or grease fire by starving the oxygen supply. Preferably use CO2 or powder extinguishers or a fire blanket.
If these are not available a bucket of sand. If the fire is small, a packet of baking soda can be used.
Do not use any other kitchen ingredients, such as flour because these are flammable.
A fireproof container such as a steel pan can be placed over the burning candle if it completely seals off the air.
Never throw water onto the fire, this will cause the ignited wax to spread.
Never attempt to blow it out.